A new survey of SMEs in the UK has found that more than 75% do not have ambitious carbon targets in place, with key barriers including a lack of finance, time, and understanding. However, other evidence shows that 4 out of 5 people describe themselves as likely to choose a brand with a positive approach to environmental sustainability. This argues that those businesses that aren’t putting any thought into their environmental impact, should start.
SME Sustainability can mean saving energy
Energy efficiency is in the news a lot at the moment because of the high energy prices and concerns for the future. Those in serviced office rentals might not be as worried about their energy consumption, but ensuring your energy consumption is as low as possible is also important for your green credentials. Here are a few ways you can reduce your use of energy, increase your energy efficiency and improve your SME sustainability:
- Make sure that your heating is only on when needed and that all radiators are bled, to get the most heat out of when they are on.
- Switch off ‘vampire devices‘. British Gas published a report claiming households could save an average of £147 per year on their energy bills by switching off devices that drain power when left on standby. This is the same for businesses and might include printers not always in use, screens and computers left on standby, and chargers left plugged in. This is all energy you could not be using, even if cost is not your primary reason.
- Ensure you’re using energy-efficient devices and appliances. When replacing items such as computers, printers, screens, phones and lighting, take a look at how much energy it uses. Laptops are more efficient than desktops as well as being more flexible or there are printers with automatic sleep mode. It’s worth bearing in mind.
- Use LED bulbs. LED bulbs are great for SME sustainability as they last up to 2.5 times longer than CFL bulbs (Compact fluorescent lamps) and 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Get timers on lights, or motion sensors, so that you don’t accidentally waste electricity by leaving them on.
- Make use of natural light. If your office is in a location where you have access to natural light, make the most of that light by arranging desks in a way that maximises it.
For more information on how SEND Business Centre can help your business take a step into a more sustainable future with flexible and affordable office rental, get in touch with the team or take the virtual tour.